• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

GABA Supplement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSpade

Bluelighter
Was reading about this supplement and apparently it can help with anxiety and sleep problems which would be nice (thought 5htp, melatonin, valerian and about a million other things which I've tried don't do a thing).

Anyone any experience with it?

2 shots of bourbon before bed would probably do the exact same thing.

I enjoy GABA, although I've always taken it sublingually.

Many claim it's inactive and doesn't cross the blood-brain-barrier, others claim it is most certainly an active compound. I used it when I was trying to quit drinking and found it to have a mild benzodiazapine-like quality to it.

It's been noted among myself and other's that GABA sometimes produces an odd numbness or tingling in the extremities. This never bothered me, although I've read it's cause some a great deal of anxiety.

^^ Yeah I clicked this because a friend was just telling me how much he thought they helped him with his alcohol withdrawal

could it be found in holland and barret spade? or is it illegal?

It's an over the counter supplement in the states, although I typically bought mine from a trusted nootropic vendor.

Get the bulk powder, it's far cheaper than the capsules.

As 2c-buoyant said, there is some dispute as to whether it can cross the BBB. From what I've seen, most research points to no (or only in tiny quantities), but anecdotal a lot of people seem to say they get an effect.

You may want to look at phenibut which will cross the BBB and has a pretty long half-life, which makes it good for sleep. It needs to be treated like a benzo in terms of frequency of use though, so you have to consider that if you want to use long-term.

Last edited:
It's legal in the UK, not sure if Holland & Barett stock it or not but they might.

Get the GABA bound with niacin... It supposedly helps cross the BBB. I have both GABA with and without niacin and I don't feel much difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.